Best Vegan Toast Recipe

When coated, flip over and allow the other side to soak up the batter. Add the bread to the butter pan and cook until golden about 3-5 mins.


Growing up, I mostly ate Indian food and curry and the only time that I was served Western food was at breakfast. On the weekends my favourite thing to eat was french toast served with fresh strawberries. I would drown my fluffy piece of bread with maple syrup and sprinkle icing sugar on top. If I was very lucky, sometimes I was allowed to have whipping cream. When I stopped eating eggs, I tried for a long time to create a vegan version and with much difficulty, gave it a rest. Back then the consistency of soy milk and tofu was not smooth or suitable for sweet items. Years later when tofu became silkier, I tried again. With much success, I now eat vegan french toast almost every week and my favourite time to eat it is at dinner. I still eat my french toast the same, with freshly sliced strawberries and dusted with icing sugar. The only thing that has changed, is that I’m lighter on the maple syrup.

Ingredients: 300 grams organic soft tofu 1/4 cup (60 ml) soymilk 1/4 tsp (1 ml) ground cardamom 1/4 tsp (1 ml) vanilla extract (optional) 1 tsp (5 ml) agave nectar or other sweetener rustic white loaf of bread (day old) vegan or regular butter strawberries sliced icing sugar (optional) Combine all the batter ingredients in a blender and blend. Pour some of the batter into a shallow soup plate Heat a medium-sized non-stick frying pan on medium heat and add butter to coat the bottom of the pan. Slice the bread into three quarter inch pieces and lay one side in the batter.

Flip over and add more butter. Cook until the other side turns golden, another 2-4 minutes. Transfer to a plate and add strawberries, icing sugar and syrup. Makes 4 pieces Cooking time 30 mins

0 commenti: